Which Web Developer?
Picking the right web developer involves
much more than looking at sites they have built.
Many have learned this the hard and expensive way.
After reading this page, see True Story 2011 and
True Story 2004
at the left
There are four fundamental aspects of any web site:
What Goes Into a Web Site?
All are important (except perhaps #4).
- How it looks and feels to the user, and how fast it is.
- How well it conveys the information, and how easily this info can be found.
- How it works down inside; the underlying architecture.
- How easily people find it in searches (if this matters to you).
- A web site may look great, but be impossible to maintain due to a
- However, the best architecture is of little value if users dislike
the site and move on!
- Of course, if the site does not convey the information, the above
aspects are moot.
- And if people can't find you when they search, none of the above may
We provide cost effective web sites that meet all these requirements.
Please be aware: With current web development tools, a web
developer can build a site with no understanding of the
fundamentals of web site architecture or programming. The resulting
site may look fine, yet be unmanageable or have other hidden
problems. We recommend that one contact the developer's
reference site owners for the rest of the story.
- Work with you to create an engaging graphical layout that
distinguishes your business. We can also provide quality photography
and imaging services.
- Work with you on the best ways to convey the information to the
user, such as home page content, menu items, and how the pages flow.
- Work with you on architecture issues to ensure that normal
maintenance and updates can be done by you or your staff, possibly
even allowing authenticated uses to add and modify content.
- If Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is important to you, see that
- Provide fixed pricing with no surprises or hidden
costs. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for
- Guaranteed satisfaction. If we cannot produce a site you
are pleased with, you pay only for any graphic design layout that we
may have provided.
If you want people to find your site through search tools like Google,
please read this.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Web search engines use web robots (aka "bots" or "spiders") to
continuously crawl the web and report back on what they find. When
you use a search tool like Google, you are actually searching the
collective results that were reported back from the bots over time.
This would be fine if the bots could "see" your site the same as
humans do, and could interpret it the same as humans do. But they
don't! If you want people to find your site through search tools,
the site has to provide the right "bot view" (aka "spider food").
A well designed site will help people to find you when they should,
and not find you when they shouldn't. The bots should:
We understand these issues, and offer a cost effective approach to
achieving these goals. We will:
- Pick up on your desired search phrases and patterns.
- Be able to thoroughly explore your site, creating the most comprehensive
results. Some types of content and structure are difficult or impossible for
bots to digest.
- Never think that your site is trying to fool them (e.g., with overly
repeated phrases or irrelevant links). If they do, they may not revisit for a
long time, and may devalue the results.
Please be aware: The "bot view" cannot be assessed by visiting the web
developer's reference sites. The site may look fine yet have a poorly designed
bot view, and thus poor search engine exposure. We recommend that one
contact the site owners about this. You can also do some simple
searches to see if the site is being found as you would expect.
- Design the site with the dynamic structure required to support a bot view
that you can modify and extend over time, to evolve as needed.
- Provide you with instructions on how to create the bot view
information for your site, along with examples from which you can model
- Work with you to complete this task, providing feedback and advice.