Clients & Employers:
Earthquake Center (USC)
Univ of Washington
Univ of Utah:
Institutions for Seismology
School of Computing
RAHD Oncology Products
Univ of Utah Med Ctr:
New York Univ Med Ctr
Diagnostic Imaging Lab
Indiana Univ of PA:
Demonstration of Features
We suggest that you view the
Site Demo Slides
From Some of Our Sites
~~ circa 2009 ~~
These details will then have some context.
This commercial site demonstrates the following features:
FROM THE USER'S VIEW
FROM THE ARCHITECTURE VIEW
- Entire home page fits into an 800x600 display.
- All other pages default to an 800 wide display with vertical
scrolling. Users with higher resolution displays can select Dynamic
Width and page will then expand to browser width.
- Custom search tools allow searching on type of item, materials in
the item, the feel of the item, or arbitrary words or phrases.
- Users can select numerous display parameters. For example, those
with a fast network connection and high resolution display can select
dynamic width displays, more results per search, and more items across
- Users can select font size, thus accomodating different visual
accuities or display resolutions.
- Display color schemes are coordinated with each item. For
- A gold ring may have a gold leaf border, black background,
dark brown buttons, and light tan text input background
- A white pendant may have a light blue leaf border, dark blue
background, medium blue buttons, and light blue text input background.
- Warning is provided to users of pending downtime for service, and
- When site is down for service, notice is provided to users of
when it will be back up.
- If cookies are required, and user has them disabled, warning is
- If user has browser with known problems, warning is provided,
along with list of supported browsers.
- If user has a very old browser that is unsupported, they are told
so, and are given a list of supported browsers.
This commercial site, although simpler than Saya Treasures above,
demonstrates some additional unique features (along with some of the
- All pages are dynamically generated (except for a few special
error/warning pages), driven from a backend relational database.
- All information for each item and collection is maintained in the
database. This includes quantities, sizes, pricing, the desired
display color scheme, and information such as "hand made", "one of a
kind", or "limited edition".
- A very small number of programs create all of the necessary pages.
- One for the Home page and related pages such as About, FAQ, Contact,
- One for the Search page.
- One for the Details page.
- One for the Additional Views page.
- In order to maintain consistency of look and feel across the
site, and to facilitate changes:
- All programs share common definitions and modules.
- All programs share dynamically generated stylesheets.
- All programs are driven from the same backend database.
- Image management is simplified by not storing the images in the
database. Images are simply stored as JPGs or GIFs in directories that
have the same name as the unique ID assigned by the database for each
- Site is tuned for web search engine robots (a.k.a. bots, spiders)
to maximize visibility in searches.
- Here, a backend relational database was not required. However,
pages are still dynamically generated, driven instead from individual
files (one file per page, or page section).
- The above allows direct conversion to a backend database if
necessary, by simply replacing the loading of the individual files
with calls to the database.
- A very fast slide show that is automatically preloaded the first
time you access any page.
requires no plugins such as Java or Flash.